A piece of broken jewelry can be a huge bummer. After all, you can no longer wear it but can’t bear to throw it away. Getting it fixed feels like a tremendous proposition. If you decide to sell it, no one wants to buy it online or through one of the many person-to-person sales apps, at least not without trying to low-ball you at every turn. However, all is not lost! First, the great news:
Pawnshops absolutely buy broken jewelry! Unlike most items typically found in a home, like a television or a computer, jewelry maintains its value even when it is broken. This is because the precious metals market determines the value of the precious jewels and metals in a piece of jewelry. While the market has had its ups and downs throughout history, the value of precious metals and gemstones generally only increases over time.
Second, the not-so-great news: not every shop will be as interested in a piece of broken jewelry as they would one that was intact. If your local pawnshop cannot or will not take the time and effort to fix it up for resell, they may not be willing to offer top dollar for your piece of broken jewelry. For example, if you had a broken gold diamond bracelet to pawn or sell, your local pawnbroker will need to take into consideration the cost of scrapping the gold and selling the diamonds wholesale. However, this broken bracelet still has value and can get you quick cash when you need it.
At Central Mega Pawn, we are always interested in your jewelry, broken or not! As part of our dedication to our community, our services include an in-house jeweler. We are one of the few pawnshops to offer this service and are proud to invite you to come and see how we can help get you the highest offer for your items.
What kind of broken jewelry can I pawn or sell?
Jewelry made out of precious metals like gold, silver, or platinum is a safe bet to get a high price at a pawn shop. To determine what kind of metal your item is made of, look for the engraving on clasps or elsewhere for letters or numbers that indicate carat or purity.
Also, jewelry that contains precious gems and stones like diamonds or emeralds are always in high demand. Keep in mind that for gems, particularly diamonds, several vital factors determine how valuable they are:
- Carat – the unit of weight of a diamond
- Cut – the style of how the gem is cut
- Clarity – the visual appearance of a diamond, including its blemishes
- Hue – the color of the diamond
Don’t forget – you can bring us as many items as you want! We will work with you to get the most value for your jewelry.
How will the in-house jeweler at Central Mega Pawn appraise my broken jewelry?
First, our jeweler will determine the type of metal that your jewelry is made of, as well as its purity. The purer the metal, the higher offer we can make. Then, they will weigh the jewels, as well as measure and asses any diamonds. Based on that information, they will help put together an offer – all in a matter of minutes! You can accept the offer and get your cash in hand. Or, you can try again at a different shop. You are under no obligation.
How can I get the most money for my broken jewelry at Central Mega Pawn?
- Gather as many pieces as you can – depending on the type of break, this may mean bringing in only a couple of pieces, or a handful. The point is to bring in as complete an item as you can. Some pawnshops, like Central Mega Pawn, may be willing and able to repair to resell the piece as a whole.
- Do your homework – teach yourself some of the basics of how precious metals are appraised and weighed, and remember that the purer the metals, the more valuable they are. You don’t want to get caught off guard and force your pawnbroker to break it to you that you actually have costume jewelry, which no pawnshop can make an offer on.
- Clean your jewelry – even if it is broken beyond repair, do your best to clean every piece you have safely. The cleaner it is, the easier it is for your pawnbroker to appraise the item. Also, it never hurts to make your items look their best.
- Have realistic expectations – once you have an idea of what you might expect, be prepared to get an offer of a fraction of the value. Your local pawnbroker must make a profit on every item in their shop, so they cannot offer you an even exchange against the actual value of the metals and jewels in your item.
- Be prepared to negotiate – your pawnbroker will be open to realistic negotiations. The more homework you do, the more knowledgeable you will be. Don’t be afraid to walk away if the offer doesn’t come close to your standards. Unlike many other items that pass through the pawnshop, your jewelry will retain its value, and you will be able to come back another time or visit another shop.
- Lastly: get your cash! – at Central Mega Pawn, we get you cash in hand in minutes.
Broken jewelry is an odd thing – nearly everyone has some at some point, but no one wants to discard it. Your broken jewelry can come in handy and help you get a low-risk loan when you need quick cash. Best of all, when you pay back your loan, you will get your jewelry back, to either pawn again when the need arises, or to keep for sentimental reasons. Instead of letting the broken jewelry in your home sit at the bottom of a drawer or sit neglected in a dusty old jewelry box, put it to good use and get cash in hand at Central Mega Pawn.