Fake Vs. Fact: How to Avoid Buying Designer Knockoffs – Louis Vuitton Edition
Louis Vuitton is one of the most counterfeited designers out there. Scammers know that there is a massive demand for their bags. With all the different lines that have come out through the years, including canvas monogram, epi, vernis, damier azur, making sure you are buying a genuine article has never been more challenging. Luckily, at Central Mega Pawn, we’ve put together a guide to help you make sure you are spending your hard-earned dollars on genuine Louis Vuitton bags. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know to avoid buying knockoff material.
An authentic Louis Vuitton bag always has the following characteristics:
- High-Quality Materials: Louis Vuitton bags are expensive, partly because they are made out of genuine, costly materials such as top-tier leathers made from boa, crocodile, lambskin, and camel skin. Knockoffs, on the other hand, are easily recognizable by their use of pleather or vinyl, or other material that feels rough or stiff to the touch. A genuine Louis Vuitton bag feels smooth and soft to the touch, thanks to the expert craftsmanship that goes into its construction at every step of the process.
- Trim: Louis Vuitton trim tans naturally as it ages because it is genuine material. Fakes, on the other hand, have tags that do not age or tan. If you encounter a so-called gently used Louis Vuitton bag with trim that looked worn but not aged, you have not found an authentic piece.
- Careful Monogram placement: On genuine Louis Vuitton bags, monograms are always consistent. There will be no misalignment or incorrectly cropped monograms, and you will never encounter a seam in the middle of the genuine Louis Vuitton bag.
- Separate Tags: These are never attached to a genuine Louis Vuitton bag. Keep in mind that even when tags are part of the purchase, they are placed within the purse itself or in the accompanying dust bag. Tags are never attached to genuine Louis Vuitton bags with plastic pins!
- Genuine Hardware: the hardware on a Louis Vuitton bag is always an indicator of authenticity. Fake purses will very often have painted or decorated plastic tags. In contrast, an authentic piece will have gold, or sometimes, brass metal hardware engraved with Louis Vuitton bags’ trademark logo.
- Dust Bags: All genuine Louis Vuitton bags come with a soft dust bag. While imitators may try to throw you off with nylon or plastic dust bags, real articles will come with a bag in a soft tan leather that features the trademark LV log in the center.
Do Your Research
As a savvy buyer, you should know about some basic features about the bag you are buying. For example, if you are looking for a bag in the “Speedy” line, you should know that no genuine bag has metal or gold feet on the bottom.
Whenever possible, do your research on the type of bag you are interested in. A knowledgeable buyer will be able to spot the tiny additions or changes that make knockoffs so hard to discern by other buyers.
Beware of Extra Accessories
Many Louis Vuitton knockoffs attempt to con people by throwing in fake accessories along with their counterfeit bag. To this day, authentic Louis Vuitton bags do not come with extra accessories. However, while lines like the Neverfull have the option to add a shoulder strap, it is never included as a standard purchase.
Examine Details Like Handles and Stitching
The high-quality workmanship of genuine Louis Vuitton bags is easy to spot on genuine articles. The handles and stitching are precise and durable. If your potential bag has any loose threads, the chances are good that you’re dealing with a knockoff.
The lettering on your bag is another clear indicator of a knockoff or an authentic Louis Vuitton bag. Lettering done by scammers is hasty and sloppy. On the other hand, genuine bags proudly feature clear and precise lettering that gives all their bags their signature quality. Thankfully, there are some signs you can look out for to ensure that your Louis Vuitton bag is authentic:
- The “O” in Louis Vuitton should be perfectly round, not oval.
- The horizontal line in the “L” should be very short.
- The name Louis Vuitton is almost always spelled out in all capital letters. However, even on models where the brand name is not capitalized, it is done in a distinctive script that is difficult to replicate.
Don’t Fall for “Certificates of Authenticity”
Some scammers try to fool buyers by providing certificates or cards of authenticity. While genuine bags sometimes come with a white or cream-colored card on the inside with the model name and a barcode, real bags do not come with cards or certificates of authenticity.
Look for Date Codes
Since 1980, every Louis Vuitton bag comes with a date code that indicates where and when it was made. The codes are usually stamped on a leather tag on the bag’s interior or into the lining itself. However, the codes can be difficult to find, depending on the model. The codes’ structure can vary as well – some have all numbers; some have a combination of letters and numbers. Scammers try to fool buyers by sloppily stamping a serial number on the inside.
Commonly Replicated Louis Vuitton Bags
One of the many things that not only make Louis Vuitton bags so beloved but also susceptible to fraud is the fact that there are so many innovative styles and types of bags in the Louis Vuitton collection. While some styles are more frequently knocked-off than others, below is a list of the most commonly replicated bags on the black market:
- Signature Monogram Canvas
- Takashi Murakami Collection
- Damier Graphite Canvas
At Central Mega Pawn, we take every step possible to ensure that you will find only genuine articles in our shop. When you’re in the market for a genuine Louis Vuitton bag, you can rest assured that ours will be the real thing. Visit us today to see what bags we have in stock!