Designer and luxury watches make a bold statement; to many people, they signify wealth and taste. While lots of people are willing to shell out top dollar a designer watch such as Rolex or Tag Heuer, that doesn’t need to be the case. Your local, trusted pawn shop, like Central Mega Pawn, is a great place to look for a brand-name luxury timepiece without the enormous price tag. Pawn shops like us put luxury within reach.
We regularly have a healthy stock of such top brand watches as:
- Tag Heuer
- Patek Philippe
- Audemars Piguet
- Breitling SA
When it comes to buying top brand luxury watches, your purchase should be considered an investment. As such, you should do your due diligence and make sure that you are getting a genuine article.
How to spot fake watches
Regardless of your familiarity with watches and luxury brands, you should always make sure you’re getting exactly what you’re paying for. Fake luxury watches are a big, potentially dangerous business. Replicas are getting closer and closer to the real items, so spotting them is becoming more difficult. Some fakes are so well done that they can fool experts. However, here are some ways to protect yourself.
Who is selling it, and where?
A good indication that you are not dealing with genuine material is if it is being sold in an unusual location by someone who cannot answer simple questions about the watch. Or, if one or more extremely rare pieces are being sold in one place.
However, just because a watch is in a glass case and being sold by someone in a tie does not necessarily mean it is authentic. Unless you are buying from a dealer who is officially a representative of the brand, you can’t be one hundred percent sure of what you’ll get.
Another indicator that you are in the wrong place to find a luxury watch is that the seller has no idea what the timepiece is worth and is willing to offer a ridiculous price for it. Prices that are too good to be true usually mean that you will not wind up with a genuine watch. While our experts at Central Mega Pawn know the exact worth of every luxury watch in stock, we will work with you to find you a fair price.
Buy in person
Many people look for favorable prices online and depend entirely on photos of the watch to determine its authenticity. However, photos can easily give a false sense of security. This is why you should come in to visit us to pick out your next luxury watch. You will be able to thoroughly examine the timepiece from every angle and will catch every tiny flaw.
When you visit Central Mega Pawn for your next designer watch, here are some things we will welcome you to examine:
- Material – the metals and materials of counterfeit watches will be slightly off-colored. When you examine our watches, you will see that our gold watches are hallmarked and that the colors of the precious metals are genuine and bold.
- Weight – counterfeit watches are usually lighter than expected, because they are made with cheaper materials in an effort to save on manufacturing costs. Not only that, they feel rougher in the hand because they are fashioned without the care and expertise that go into genuine luxury watches, and are rarely, if ever, made by hand. All of our watches at Central Mega Pawn will feel genuine in your hand and on your wrist.
- Type faces and engravings – We will welcome you to examine the typefaces and engravings on our watches when you come in. Genuine luxury watches do not have mistakes, rough engravings, or inconsistencies; counterfeit watches, on the other hand, will often have spelling errors on the faces, have mispositioned letters or numbers with rough and uneven engraving, or even have loose hands.
- Movement – the most important thing we will encourage you to examine is the movement on your new luxury watch. Even the best counterfeiters will have trouble matching the quality of the movement on genuine watches.
- Sound – We will welcome you to examine the sound of your watch’s movement. Most luxury watches operate almost silently thanks to their immaculate movement system; if you happen across a watch being branded as “luxury”, but you can hear it ticking without holding it close to your ear, keep looking.
In the case of smartwatches, like Apple Watches, its responsiveness should be an indicator of its authenticity. If it takes longer than expected to wake up, or to respond to a prompt, there is a good chance that you should pass on it.
Why you should buy your next luxury watch from Central Mega Pawn
At every step of our buying process, our professionals at Central Mega Pawn have done everything they can to ensure that we only buy and sell genuine items, including insisting on paperwork and original packaging whenever possible. In this way, Central Mega Pawn has removed one big worry from looking for your next luxury watch.
Unlike jewelry stores, online retailers, and the like, we are willing and able to negotiate with you on the price. Come informed and willing to haggle, and you could walk away with the luxury or smart watch of your dreams for a fraction of what you would have spent elsewhere.
Also, you will be able to find unique watches at Central Mega Pawn that you simply will not find anywhere else. This is becuse we are a member of our community and are as unique as our neighbors. Regardless if you are in the market for a one-of-a-kind watch from a world-renowned brand, or for the latest smart watch, we have what you are looking for. Visit us today to see how we can help you find your next (or first) designer watch!